Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Graphic Design. Hobby to Career!

Graphic Design! I have finally gone full circle from Psychology to Dietetics to Physical Therapy and back to Graphic Design. I am going to finish the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at Utah State University that I started 7 years ago. I have worked as a graphic artist and designer for 4 years now at Thread Images embroidery and screen printing shop, editing and creating pictures ranging from High School volleyball T-shirts to the currently used store business logo.

I am creating this blog as a portfolio of sorts and as a memory book of some of the neat opportunities I've had to create art over the years. I may even write my some of my own personal Photoshop tutorials or editing tips that I've accumulated over the years, who knows.

A little bit about my skills:
First, I have developed a deep passion for Photoshop and the many amazing things that program can do. Although I personally use version 6 at home (which is still amazingly great), I am lucky enough to use CS3 at work. I enjoy photo editing for our new Brother Inkjet apparel printer which has the ability to print full images/photos/scans/etc onto T-shirts, bags, hoodies, you name it (1000 times better than iron-ons). But when it comes right down to it, I love to hear someone elses or use my own creative ideas and be able to vividly create them with my mouse and Wacom drawing tablet. Nothing is quite as exciting as when you hear the phrase "those are the coolest T-shirts I've ever seen!"

Second, I attended Bridgerland Applied Technology College for 2 years, working on a Graphic Design Certificate before I decided to test other fields of study where I could use my social skills. :) While at BATC, I learned Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Premier, AutoCad, and some other lesser known programs. I really enjoyed the Web Designing that I did and plan to further my education in that also as I persue my Art degree. I also took an Advanced Photoshop class which helped me to realize that I am more of an expert than I thought at the program. I am not exaggerating nor boasting when I say that I taught the teacher more things than she taught me. The only reason I say this is to emphasize how much I love Photoshop and how that fondness has driven me to learn so much about it and how to use it.

THE END of my skills

Now to the interesting stuff. I want to post some of my work and explain a little bit about each one.

The logo above is the current logo to the screen printing and embroidery business I work at. My former manager contracted me to create a logo that is simple, easy to read, and looks professional. After having me remove some of the added features that made it look cooler, he finally said "Perfect."When I first began as a screen printer, the only thing the computer was used for was printing the art onto see-through paper. Then all the other art editing was done the old fashioned way of cut and paste and drawing with pens and markers, etc. So after we got a new manager I was able to convince him that I could revolutionize our screen printing and bring us into the 21st century. This is the first graphic designing I was allowed to do. He gave me 10 minutes to work on it. This is the finished 10 minute job showing the final product in color on top and the 2 layers of design it takes to print the design using screen printing.This design was the first one I got to design for the Brother Inkjet printer the company bought in 2007. Unfortunately the customer needed it before we received the machine so we had to do an iron-on print. It turned out ok but iron-ons can't and don't even compare to this machine. It prints directly onto the fabric and bonds into it to never crack, bleed or fade. The customer then became my co-worker at my full-time job at Physical Therapy and I plan to print him a new shirt with the Inkjet machine for his birthday. But don't tell him. It's a surprise.
This logo is one I created from start to finish in an hour. The USU Vida Club asked me to come up with a design one night and print the shirts for them the next day. I came through. I have to give Google some credit for helping me brainstorm, but ultimately I designed it. I'm very happy with how they turned out. I'm just sad that the Vida Club didn't take me on their service trip adventure to Brazil. That would've been AWESOME!!
When I told my aunt that I worked at a T-shirt printing company, she asked me to design a logo for her since she was running for legislature in Idaho. The logo looks Awesome here but she wanted them printed on gray shirts and they didn't look quite as good as they would have on white ones. That's the only drawback to the Inkjet printer is the fact that it doesn't print white ink yet. The technology hasn't gotten that down pat yet. Someday soon they will though. Then there will be no weaknesses for the allpowerful Brother Inkjet Machine!

My father-in-law asked me one day if I could computerize their family coat of arms and then make some T-shirts for the upcoming family reunion. So there it is. It's beautiful.


This is a design that I did up for a school in Idaho. They ended up not purchasing any shirts though. So if you want me to replace your high school name with theirs, I'll print you some shirts!Some people have taken offense to this design. I'm sorry, but it is still funny. I came up with it for a contest on a website called threadless.com. I can't even remember what the theme was, but I didn't make it very far in the judging anyway. I still like it though.
My former co-worker had me teach her a bit about Photoshop. So we began with the basics of cut and paste of two pictures together. This is our final product of her wedding. Cute huh?
I couldn't not put this in. This is a compilation of drawings that I did of my group of high school friend that we cleverly named as "The Bros." I lived in Germany for 3 years when I was little, hence the lederhosen to represent it.
My friends enjoy creating movies. Once as three roomates, they all got dumped in the same week. So they created a production they named "Jerk." I needed to create a fictitious movie poster for an assignment and so I got a "real movie" from them and created this.

This is my dream. To be a Web Comic writer/editer/guy. This is the 3rd comic in a series of 9 that I have finished with my two brothers. The website isn't functional really yet because we are all very busy. If you want to check out the first 9 though visit www.bridgermountain.blogspot.com for your viewing pleasure. One day we'll have an official website for them.

This is a logo that I created for my friend/co-w0rker Mary. She is a quiltaholic! You may not think that that sort of thing could be addicting but it is. It's a serious illness brought upon by too much "delicious fabric". She's awesome though. Click on the picture to visit her quilt blog. This is a comic I drew of some movies that I had recently watched. If you don't get them, then go watch some more movies.
I created this picture from lots and lots of Photoshop tutorials I found online. I planned to make it into a website but never got around to it.


All the rest of the photos are ones that I edited for fun. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment